Sunday, December 13, 2009

Time for Our Checkups

I can't believe it's already time for Kodiak's Vaccinations again, this time Dad came with us which was so nice. Kodiak was due for two of his yearly shots and we both decided while we were at it, it was time we got him micro chipped. In case anything ever happened to him, knock on wood. This year was a little different, instead of taking him to the Humane Society we took him to Riverton Veterinary Clinic. Even though it was a little more expensive we wanted the experience to be more enjoyable for him, and aside from the micro chip and the slight bum exam, it was. While we were in the exam room waiting for about fifteen minutes for the Doctor to come in I noticed a poster for oral hygiene on animals. There were pictures of early periodontal disease, advanced periodontal disease and gingivitis. So just out of curiosity I pulled up Kodiak's lips an started looking at his gums, and sure enough he had some spots on his gums resembling the spots in the picture for gingivitis. Once the Doctor came I had him glance at his gums as well and he said that it's slight gingivitis but not really anything to really worry about. So being the obsessive compulsive person I am we immediately went to the pet store and bought our little guy his first toothbrush and toothpaste. So needless to say it had been a rough day for Kodiak all the way around. First with his bum exam, then with the shots and the microchip, and to end his already tough day we had to brush his teeth which is definitely not his favorite thing but bless his heart he still lets us do it. We both just keep telling him, "It's all because we love you."

No comments: